Web-based forum with Phorum
is a nice, light-weight web-based bulletin board which requires either MySQL or PostgreSQL.
- In MySQL or PostgreSQL, create a database to host data
- Untar the package in your web server's docs/ directory
- Rename the admin/ directory. You can add an .htaccess to increase security.
Better yet, move it outside the docs/ directory, if you are allowed to.
FYI, your database logon/password is in clear text in admin/settings/forums.php
- If you named/removed admin/, update common.php accordingly ($settings_dir)
- To localize Phorum, download a language file, rename it to eg. deutsch.php,
and copy it into lang/
- Customize phorum.css, include/header.php, and footer.php
- Aim at http://localhost/admin/
Can I display a user's Real Name instead of his User Name?
No, you'll have to change the code yourself.
What's the difference between "New Folder" and "New Forum"
A folder is a group of forums. If you just need a single forum, don't create
a folder, and users will be welcomed directly into this forum.